Scalability/Enterprise use

What do you want to achieve? Scalability for 1 person and teams of people

Do you see alternative options and workaround to achieve it? No, that maybe from my lack of familiarity with the product, if so and you can point me to some doc, great.

Mention some use cases Single developer, architect developer in a large enterprise trying to establish reusable IOT widget interfaces.

I was pleasantly surprised to find SL. This product looks very promising and I would love to be able to use it as my go forward tool, short of writing my own. Possibly we could contribute/purchase specific features that are critical to our needs to move them higher up on your priority list?
The true show stoppers for me are:

Feature 1: There is no copy/paste. Without Feature 2, this makes it hard to scale even for 1 developer.

Feature 2: A style library. You should be able to set a style on any component and click “add to style library” which should just be a library of styles by widget. Possibly this could be done as an asset. For example:
Button Styles
my style 1 // contains all props for button, other than text value
my style 2 // a different style of button.
Label Styles
Header1 // label corresponding to html h1 settings
Header 5… ditto

A very simple implementation to this would simply be an ‘add to assets or add widgets’ button where you could add a named/styled widget into some kind of library. In a multi developer scenario, you would expect a good graphic design guy to work with a dev to build a library for internal use. Clearly the assets/styles need to be exportable. Without something like this you simply cannot scale this in an enterprise.

The other posts here cover a lot of the other lesser issues but for enterprise use I think the above are actual show stoppers to purchase.

How can we help you move faster?

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this. I agree that this component handling is very important.

We have discussed it and see a flexible way manage it. This is the concept:

• Let’s say you create a button and label on it. Set the styles, size, etc.
  • After that you can click a “Convert to component” button and name the component, e.g. to “mybutton”. It adds “mybutton” element to the list on the widget panel.
  • Now you can create any number of instance of “mybutton”. If you change any property on the button or the label, they will be local to the instance by overwriting the default values coming from the component.
  • You can select a component instance and click an “Edit component” button. After that your local modification will be temporarily reverted and you can modify the default values of the component. By pressing “Update component” the new default values will be saved and all the instances of the components will be updated and finally your earlier local modifications on the edited instance will be added again.
  • You can also create component from a component. E.g. “mybutton” is blue by default but if you make one of its instances to red, you can convert it to a “redbutton” component. “redbutton” will get all its properties from “mybutton” except the red bg color.
  • Besides you can define a “Create ready” callback for the component which will be called as the last step of the component creation to allow you adding any custom special behavior.

What do you think?

As I mentioned I agree it’s very important feature, and can handle it with top priority. It will be great to get some early during the development, so it’d be highly appreciated if you could test it before releasing this feature.

That sounds like a good solution. Thanks for looking at that so quickly. More than happy to test if you need me to.

1 Like