Downloading missing Board binary - stuck

Hi - I have just downloaded SquareLine Studio 1.2 to have a go at some UI design for personal projects/learning.

I cant seem to open any of the examples or create a new project as each time a yellow box appears at the top of the screen saying ‘Downloading missing Board binary’. On the face of it - this seems fair, but it never goes away so doesnt seem to be downloading anything so nothing ever opens.

I have tried opening the app as an administrator, restarting my PC, and even reinstalling SquareLine Studio. I also tried allowing the app through the firewall incase this was causing the download issue.

What can I do to resolve this issue so I can actual try to work wiht SquareLine Studio?

edit: I downloaded 1.1 which works - seems like there are some bugs with 1.2

2 Likes

My suggestion: close SLS, download 1.1.1 version again and copy boards from installed directory (C:\Program Files\SquareLine Studio 1.1.1\boards) to a temporary directory (C:\Temp). Then reinstall 1.2.1 and move missing boards from temporary directory to new inslalled version directory.
Open SLS again and check!

Hi, I have the same problem running SLS V1.3.0. I hope this will be fixed on the next version?

Has anyone got this working. V1.3.1 showing this ‘Downloading missing Board binary’ message but no clue how to resolve it. Cannot see anything downloading?

1 Like

If you want to update an old version (1.2.0 or older), it is possible that old files might mix with the new downloads. First, uninstall SquareLine Studio. If any files remain in the installed folder after the uninstallation, make sure to delete them as well. Next, delete all directories from the C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\SquareLine\boards folder, if any exist.

It is also possible that some files got corrupted during the download, which prevents the completion of the downloading process. The files are downloaded from GitHub, so the download might stutter occasionally. Try closing the software (if running) and then delete all folders from the C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\SquareLine\boards folder. After that, launch the software again to attempt a fresh download of the files.

I tried all of the above and that didn’t fix the problem unfortunately. It is the same problem on SLS V1.3.1

I have the same problem and it appears to be linked to Squareline unzipping the repro.zip file. Some of the folder and files are copied but not all. My C drive is synced with onedrive so I’m wondering if there is a sync or permissions issue. I am running 1.3.1. In my case i’m building for arduino using TFT_eSpi. The boards folder for the 3 versions of tft_espi are not being created correctly by the studio program and its causing the binary error and trying to load a project hangs.

Yeah, this seems to only happen when creating an Arduino project. So it’s definitely something to do with the Arduino library boards folder that is being created when you first create a new project.

Did this get resolved? I am still working in v1.1.1 as every other version I have downloaded has this same issue - even after uninstalling 1.1.1 and taking my boards folder to the new installation… this is a 6 month multi-version spanning issue - I thought it would have been resolved by now.

I have found that the board directory path is too long causing error 0x80010135: Path too long, when the repo is being extracted.
Log file states…
DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path “C:\Users\MyUserName\OneDrive - MyOneDriveName\Documents\SquareLine\boards\Arduino\arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0\temp\board_arduino_tft_espi-1.1.0_ui_project_name_\libraries\TFT_eSPI\examples\Smooth Fonts\FLASH_Array\Smooth_font_reading_TFT\Smooth_font_reading_TFT.ino”
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean useAsync) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
at System.IO.Compression.ZipFileExtensions.ExtractToFile (System.IO.Compression.ZipArchiveEntry source, System.String destinationFileName, System.Boolean overwrite) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
at System.IO.Compression.ZipFileExtensions.ExtractToDirectory (System.IO.Compression.ZipArchive source, System.String destinationDirectoryName, System.Boolean overwrite) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
at System.IO.Compression.ZipFile.ExtractToDirectory (System.String sourceArchiveFileName, System.String destinationDirectoryName, System.Text.Encoding entryNameEncoding, System.Boolean overwrite) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
at System.IO.Compression.ZipFile.ExtractToDirectory (System.String sourceArchiveFileName, System.String destinationDirectoryName) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0

If you manually browse to the path and copy the file from the repo into the path, you get the path too long error, please advise if we can change the path to the boards directory thus eliminating the
“Project Loading in progress”
“Downloading missing board Binary - Stuck” condition.

All the best
Marcus

PS this doesn’t happen on version 1.1.1 as the board folder is under program files :slight_smile:

No this has not been resolved in 1.3.2. Like you I am still having to use 1.1.1

A great shame

I have found the root cause of the issue.

Sorry should have posted back earlier :slight_smile:
The file repo.zip is being unzipped into the wrong location by the application, you can manually unzip the repo to get your project opening up and running…

Path the application was creating was…
C:<yourPath>\Documents\SquareLine\boards\Arduino\arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0\Repo\arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0
This path is wrong
(Side note: The app does attempt to do this into a temp location first C:\yourPath>\Documents\SquareLine\boards\Arduino\arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0\temp\ yada yada yada, and its still wrong :))

To correct, go to
C:<yourPath>\Documents\SquareLine\boards\Arduino\arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0\
Find the file named Repo.zip
Open repo.zip file you will see the root folder of the zip is **Board_**arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0

Extract the repo.zip contents *Board_*arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0 too…
C:<yourPath>\Documents\SquareLine\boards\Arduino\arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0

If this has been done correctly…
Under the \SquareLine\boards\Arduino\arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0\ folder path, you should see the folder ui_project_name if your have unzipped it correctly.

You can now open up your project :slight_smile: without the app hanging.

This also works for arduino_tft_espi_v1_0_1 and arduino_tft_espi_v1_0_0

All the best
Marcus

PS updated as per BBrook highlighting the Board_ prefix in the zip folder path structure :).

Thanks, This might work but unzipping the repo file creates a directory called board_arduino_tft_espi-1.1.0

Is this really correct?

having the same issue, first time using SLS so this caused massive confusion. Anyways, tried copying the repo and renaming the folder from board_arduino_tft_espi-1.1.0 to arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0 and places in \Documents\SquareLine\boards\Arduino folder, this allowed me some progress but still being prompted about downloading boards, the project opens but now I am not sure if the error while exporting my project is either my fault or this bug… frustrating experience.

Hi BBrook,
From memory, and in your case rename the folder board_arduino_tft_espi-1.1.0 to arduino_tft_espi-1.1.0
The structure should be…
SquareLine\boards\Arduino\arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_0
Please note…
Under the arduino_tft_espi-1.1.0 folder you should see the folder ui_project_name if your have unzipped it correctly.

1 Like

@ MrBlueSea you are absolutely correct with the folder renaming :slight_smile: good catch, I have amended the above instruction to reflect this observation.

Happy to see the instruction moved you forward, if only a little.
Personally I am not using the library files output with the export, just the files in the UI folder, and I’m using the libraries provided by the ESP32 hardware manufacturer.

All the best
M

Any update on this one from the Dev team?

We can’t reproduce your problem, the Arduino TFT-eSPI board-template downloading works correctly in our Windows 10 environment as of SLS-v1.3.3. This is not a SquareLine Studio issue.
A lot of tips are give in the above posts, maybe one of them solves your problem. One of the best tips is to do it manually:

• step 1: Download and copy the Arduino TFT_eSPI board-template files as a zip package from GitHub
  • step 2: Create an ‘Arduino’ folder in: C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\SquareLine\boards.
  • step 3: Create an ‘arduino_tft_espi_v1_1_1’ folder inside the just-created ‘Arduino’ folder.
  • step 4: Extract the content of the ‘board_arduino_tft_espi-1.1.1’ folder of the downloaded zip-package inside this folder.
  • step 5: Compress the __ui_project_name__ folder into an archive called ‘arduino_tft_espi.zip’ (so it has the same filename before the extension as that of the .slb file)
    (Note: all the other boards can be installed manually like this.)

It can easily be reproduced (if you only read the forum).
Create a sync with one drive. The limitation is that One Drive can not have unlimited subfolders.
There should be a choice where to store the boards

1 Like